Reeder's Alley was originally known as Cutler Street in Last Chance Gulch and it began as a result of a gold discovery on July 14th, 1864 by a group of men known as the Four Georgians. On October 30th of that year, this area was renamed Helena. Louis Reeder, a brick mason from Buck's County, Pennsylvania invested in the lots along Cutler Street and between 1872 and 1884 built over 30 brick and stone one-room tenements for miners. By the time of his death in 1884, it had become known as Reeder's Alley.

Reeder's Alley Wood Lot

The Helena Wood Yard is now the lawn and garden area behind the Caretaker's and Pioneer Cabins.  Photo circa 1903 - George Mitchell.